Post by damnitz on May 11, 2018 13:28:07 GMT
Yesterday I had the Chance to Play my own Scenario of the battle of Melle.
I was Moltke, who had to fight his way to Ghent.
CinC: FML Moltke (Dithering):
1) british infantry - independent
- 1 bn. Royal Scots (superior for Shooting, large)
2) allied cavalry under direct command of Moltke
- 3 sqn.s Rich's Dragoons (superior)
- 1 sqn. han. Leibregiment (small)
- 1 sqn. han. Dragoons (small)
- austrian hussars
CinC: Brigadier Thomas Bligh (Dep.)
Arriving in A) in column in turn 4
3) 1st Group under direct command of Bligh
- 1 bn. Bligh's Regiment (superior for Shooting, large)
- 3 sqn.s dutch cavalry
4) 2nd Group (Dep.) Brigadier "Bates"
- 1 bn. Handasyde's Regiment (superior for Shooting, large)
- 3 sqns. of austrian dragoons
- 4 sqn.s of dutch cavalry (large)
Lieut. Gén. du Chayla (Dep.)
1) Arquebusiers de Grassin - Independent
- 1 bn. (small)
Arriving in C) in turn 4
2) Col. Gabriel-Marie de Talleyrand - Brigade Normandie (Dep.)
- 4 bn.s Régiment Normandie
3) Marquis de Crillon - Brigade Crillon (Dash.)
- 4 bn.s Régiment Crillon
4) Louis de Biran ? - Brigade Berry
- 4 sqn.s Berry (inferior)
- 4 sqn.s other French horse (inferior)
5) Mestre de Camp De Castries - Brigade du Roy (Dep.)
- 4 sqns. du Roi (inferior)
- 4 sqn.s oher French horse (inferior)
6) Marquis de Charleval d’Auneuil - Brigade Royal Étranger (Dep.)
- 4 sqn.s Royal Étranger
- 4 sqn.s other French horse
7) French artillery - Independent
- 2 x light artillery
unlimbered and without Crew for 6 turns.
Du Chayla had his troops in his camp. Could he block my attempt to break through his lines. I saw my best Chance in overwhelming the French before they could regroup their Units in a perfect line of battle.
Not really a easy Task. I had all of my troops in column and had to deploy them in reach of French muskets.
I had the hope to ignore the masses of French horse, concentrating all of my Units against Melle.
My leading batallion deployed into line early enough to face off the first French batallion. But the second crushed in the redcoats.
I had the misfortune that Rich's Dragoons stayed in Position to get volley after volley by one of Cirillion's batallions.
I could send my hanoverian cavalry, 2 sqns strong, to attack a third bn. of Crillions Brigade, which tried to outflank the leading redcoats. But Charleval had his riders right in Position to Charge my supporting unit.